There is no person who does not know that smoking is harmful to health. Some people choose to stay away from this vice, but often people ignore the fact that cigarettes can be deadly and continue to enjoy every smoke.
If you belong to one of these groups and you have set an objective in the new year not to carry more label “smoker”, we suggest several helpful tips to help you smoke cigarettes out of your life forever.
PREPARE FOR CANCELLATION
First and foremost is to know that cancellation is difficult, but not impossible. Millions of people around the world each year give up this harmful habit. You need to have strong motivation, will and perseverance.
Usually, smokers manage to completely get rid of cigarettes after several attempts. Perhaps you will be part of those who have succeeded from the first time, but if you are not, do not be disappointed and do not give up.
Here’s what you need to do to prepare for this great change in your lifestyle:
1. Be optimistic about your solution. Avoid negative thoughts that cancellation is difficult, because it can put you under stress before you start.
2. List all the reasons that influence your decision to become non-smoker. When you write on a sheet all the reasons (health, financial, etc.), you will have an idea what you will get if you get rid of this vice.
3. Choose a strong reason why you want to cancel. Most often, the fact that smoking is harmful to health is not enough to keep you away from cigarettes. You need to have a powerful personal reason. It may be your desire to protect your loved ones from the effects of passive smoking, the fear of lung cancer, or the desire for a better look at your face and teeth. Choose a reason that will be strong enough to kill your desire for another cigarette.
4. Start with lifestyle changes. Practice more physical activity, drink more fluids, do not smoke in your home or car. It’s all a good start, which will bring you on the right track.
5. Choose a date. It’s best that the date is important to you and you do not change it. It may be your birthday, a holiday, or the like. So it will be easier for you to keep track of how much time you are non-smoker and you will have one more occasion to celebrate that day.
6. Bet with a friend or partner that you can cancel the cigarettes the scheduled date. It will give you a reason to stand still on the word, and you can further motivate yourself to prove that you have a strong character.
7. Tell your loved ones that you quit smoking. It is very important to get the necessary support before, and especially after the cancellation.
REDUCE THE NUMBER OF CANCELLED CIGARETS
As you get closer to the day of cancellation, you should gradually reduce the number of cigarettes. Below are 10 ways to do this. You do not have to select all, but only those that you think will help you.
Quitting smoking is difficult, but not impossible. Millions of people around the world each year give up this harmful habit.
1. Stop purchasing cigarettes in cartons, buy a package per package, and only after you have completed the previous one.
2. Buy cigarettes you do not like – from another company or with lower nicotine and tar contents.
3. Before the start of each day, decide on how many cigarettes you are allowed to smoke and adhere to your decision.
4. Smoking cigarettes only up to half.
5. Avoid smoking. Before starting any cigarette, consider carefully whether you want to ignite it or just do it by habit.
6. Do not clean the ashtray. So you will have an insight into how many cigarettes you smoke, and the smell itself will create a drawback to smoking.
7. Collect the dives in a bottle with a little water. You will see how dirty a habit is smoking.
8. Change the circumstances in which you smoke. If you’ve ever wanted to smoke in company, now start smoking yourself. If you adore the first morning cigarette just after you wake up, now try to smoke from noon.
9. Do not store cigarettes at arm’s length. As the day of your cancellation approaches, you should also keep cigarettes away from you. The last few days you do not carry cigarettes with you.
10. Do not consume beverages or foods that encourage you to start a cigarette. Instead of coffee, drink juices and try to avoid alcohol.
CANCEL THE CIGARETS FULLY
1. Dispose of all packets of cigarettes you have (including those for emergencies). Hide trays and lighters.
2. Get rid of the thought that you will never light a cigarette, because it can create a panic. Go step by step. Say, “I will not smoke today” and stand on the word. Do it every day.
3. In the first few days, try to be as busy as possible. Take every moment in doing something. Go for walks, go to the movies, exercise or practice your hobby.
4. Avoid places where people are smoking. Now, while the Law on the Ban on Smoking in Public Areas is being actively implemented, it will not be difficult for you to go to a tavern or cafe without staying away from cigarettes. But it is best to avoid these places for the beginning, because the ambience itself can activate your desire for smoking.
5. Drink more water and juices, and avoid coffee and alcohol.
6. Wash your teeth more often. The toothpaste flavor will reduce your desire for a cigarette.
7. Wash your clothes and spray them with your favorite perfume. So you will understand how good it is when you do not smell cigarettes.
8. Go to a dentist and clean up the tartar that is created mainly because of cigarettes.
9. If you do not have anything to do with your mouth, buy more chewing gum more often. In order to have what to keep your hands busy, buy an interesting keyring that you can play with.
10. After each passing day you will not start a cigarette, reward yourself with something. Collect the money you spend on cigarettes and buy small accessories or cosmetics. So you will be more satisfied with yourself.
IF YOU GET A STRONG DESIRE TO PLACE A CIGAR …
• Gummy sugar-free taste of menthol or if you are home take cucumber, carrots, apple or celery as an appetizer. They eat no calories, they will help you to get rid of the thoughts of cigarettes.
• Relax. Blind your eyes and imagine all the reasons that made you become non-smoker. Then imagine a place that does not create tension.
• Breathe deeply. Make 10 deep breaths and exhales.
• Forget the thought that a cigarette will not hurt you. That addiction will ruin your previous work.
• Go for a walk. Physical activity may be your best ally in the difficult period immediately after giving up.
It is very important to write down each passing day when you can boast that you are non-smoker. Every month, three months or year, celebrate them.
If you ever succumb to the temptation, do not be too stern to yourself and do not give up.
Identify the reason that led to your reach for cigarettes, and the next time you find yourself in the same situation, you will be ready to resist this deadly vice.