Your mouth reveals a lot about your health! Many different diseases manifest their first symptoms directly in the mouth, so it’s important to learn how to recognize them and do something about it!
1. ANGULAR CHEILITIS and LIPS DISCOLORATION – both are conditions followed by red and irritated lips with little wounds on the angles of the mouth. Beside these symptoms, you may also feel pain when trying to open your mouth because one or both corners may bleed,be cracked and swollen, while your lips can be dry and burning. This may happen from a few reasons like:
– deficiency of B vitamins ( niacin B3, pyridoxine B6, riboflavin B2) and Iron.
– fungal or bacterial infections.
– some systemic diseases like Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease or untreated Diabetes.
– dentures that are bad fitting.
– constantly licking of lips.
– braces and mouth guard.
The B-group vitamins are found in many foods but they are destroyed very easy by cooking or by drinking to much alcohol. From this group of vitamins, only vitamin B12 and folate are stored in the liver, while the presence of other B-vitamins in the body, is very limited. Those who are on diet may have B-group vitamins deficiency and suffer from this unpleasant condition. People with braces or people who suffer from bruxism and must have a mouth guard during the sleep, have more secretion of saliva because of it, and as the saliva builds up in the lip corners, makes them crack and inclined to infections.
2. BLEEDING GUMS – when your gums are red, sore and swollen and easily bleeding, especially when you brush your teeth, you certainly have a problem! Let’s see what can cause this condition:
– gum disease.
– bad brushing technique.
– bad fillings on your teeth.
– vitamin C deficiency.
– heavy smoking.
The good oral hygiene is very important for the health in general. If you don’t remove the dental plaque from your teeth,or if your brushing technique is wrong, very soon you’ll suffer from gum disease. The plaque is full of germs which when not removed, attack the healthy tissue around your teeth. This will make gums irritated and bleeding and if it’s not treated on time, may result with loosing teeth. Gum disease is related to other serious conditions like: diabetes, heart disease, blood disorders, stress or genetics. But if your gums are not all red and swollen, but bleeds only between some teeth, in that case maybe your problem is not very serious and your dentist will have to check only your fillings.
Smokers may suffer from bleeding gums because smoking destroys vitamin C in the body and deficiency of this vitamin, directly affects gums. Some women may have sensitive and bleeding gums during menstrual cycle, pregnancy and menopause due to hormones, but when the hormonal balance is back the problems goes away.
3. TONGUE DISCOLORATION – if your tongue has some of the next characteristics, you should consult your dentist for an opinion!
– Pale and smooth tongue indicates iron deficiency anemia, folate deficiency and vitamin B12 deficiency also known as pernicious anemia.
– Raspberry or strawberry tongue can be caused by vitamin B2 deficiency or in young children can be sign of Kawasaki disease.
– Red and swollen tongue with changes in colors and size means that you have inflammation of the tongue or glossitis. Usually is caused by vitamin B3,B6 and B12 deficiency, Iron and folate deficiency, bacterial, fungal or viral infections. Glossitis is typical symptom for many diseases caused by malnutrition.
– White tongue can be found in leukoplakia, yeast infection, skin disease that affect mouth and is called Lichen planus, or the white patches may be a result of fever or dehydration.
As you can see, most of the mouth disorders comes from vitamins deficiency, eating disorders and bad oral hygiene. The fast way of living is responsible for all of these reasons. Some statistics shows that half of malnutrition symptoms are discovered in dental offices because they first appears directly in the mouth. When our body is not receiving all necessary nutrients for its normal functioning, tries to establish balance again by using the vitamins and minerals stored in different places in the body. But when these storages are exhausted, you have a medical condition that certainly deserves your attention!